Saturday 30 December 2023

Christmas Sellswords and Spellslingers

Sorry for the silence for the last four years, folks. Life just got very busy. I have barely managed any wargaming though I have been dealing with my lead pile - mostly painting it but also selling off the spares on eBay in preparation for my retirement and downsizing to a smaller home. Hopefully I will now have more time to focus on the hobby.
Any way, enough of the excuses; on with the preamble.

Last Christmas, one of my sons and I played the first scenario in the Sellswords and Spellslingers "Last Stand at Mistham" campaign. It was touch and go with some seriously poor dice throwing again but we just about managed to rescue the village chief's eldest daughter from the goblin's prison. The only problem was that we enjoyed ourselve so much much, we both forgot to take any photos so I didn't stick up a post. 

This Christmas we played the second scenario and we did take some photos though not particularly good ones, sorry!

Having rescued the lady Minai from the prison (at the bottom of the picture below), our two warbands (my son's five on the left and my four on the right) had to either carry her or accompany her to the opposite board  edge.

To start with, all we had to face were two small hordes of goblins, two individual goblins and two orc brutes. We were very lucky with our dice throwing when it came to positioning them so our warriors could pick up a good head of steam before the fight began.

The board.
If she was left on her own, because of her frail state, she would go wandering off in a random direction so we decided the best approach was to throw her over our shoulder. Foolishly, we initially chose my son's short guy to do the carrying. He was a slow mover already (move of 3") so went down to 2". My swordsman soon took over.

Minai accompanied by swordsman, archer and short guy

Our lucky dicing throwing continued. Plenty of 20's and very few <8's. When reinforcements appeared, they arrived to our rear and,  moving no faster than us, very few of them caught up with us.

An ogre and goblin horde desperately trying to catch up with the escaping heroes

A bear appeared (random event) also to our rear, moved onto the board, attacked the nearest figure (a goblin) and then charged straight of it again, never to be seen again. 

Near the end of the game two wolf riders appeared (didn't have any mounted wolf figures so will have to drop an order to Pendraken before the price increase), but even with their speed they couldn't catch up with us.

Not surprsingly, we managed to get Minai back to her village without out too much difficuly. Only my barbarian failed to make it off the board.

My barbarian gets taken out by an Orc Brute
All in all, a very enjoyable game with much laughter over the ridiculous amount of luck we had with our dice-rolling. We're looking forward to Christmas 2024 when we'll take on a scouting expedition in the third scenario. In the meantime, I'll have to play a few solo scenarios. Playing once a year leaves me rather rather rusty with the rules and I'm sure that we got a few things wrong but it was fun and that's the main point.

No comments:

Post a Comment